Beets don't kale my vibe.
Lettuce turnip the beet.
I could go and on but I won't. Because, I have something very important to tell you.
This latte has got me so hot and bothered, I can feel my heart beet from head to toe.
Inspired by a Chai Beet Almond Latte from The Coup, I had to try making my own version at home. O.M.G. was it easy and delicious.
And, beets are GOOD FOR YOU! Beets have 266.5mg of potassium (good for electrolyte balance), are high in folate and contain fibre. They are also naturally sweet! I love that this recipe is vegan and has no refined-sugar too.
Recipe adapted from mindbodygreen
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 2 dates, pitted
- 1 medium-sized beet, cooked and peeled (I used a pre-cooked beet from Costco, but 1/2 cup of spiralized beets from the grocery store would work well too)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- pinch of salt
- cacao powder (Alternatives are cocoa powder or carob powder)
1) In a small food processor or mini blender, add all the ingredients except 1/2 cup of almond milk and the cacao powder. Pulse until smooth (You might have to strain out a few date bits!)
2) Pour the mixture into a small pot and heat on medium-low until almost boiling. Reduce heat.
3) While the beet mixture simmers, heat the remaining 1/2 cup of almond milk in the microwave for 1 minute. Once hot, transfer to back to rinsed blender and blend until frothy.
4) Pour beet mixture into a cup, top with almond milk foam and dust with cacao powder.