Vegan Peach Coconut Frozen Yogurt
It’s 2017 and we’re FINALLY at a time when vegan yogurts, ice creams and cheeses taste and feel like their animal product equivalents.
Gosh, when I first began moving my diet towards being plant-based 10 years ago, there weren’t many vegan foods to choose from on grocery store shelves. The ones that were, were known as vegan staples and the others... well, they simply didn’t taste great. Now, shelves are stocked and new products arrive weekly. Let’s face it, it’s now much easier to be vegan, or at least, migrate your daily eating habits to plant-based alternatives.
One area that has come a long way in the past few years is vegan yogurts. With almond and coconut milk alternatives on the rise, it wasn’t long before dairy-free yogurts made their way into grocery store coolers. After trying a few, I have a definite favourite — Yoso! It’s CANADIAN, dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan, plus it’sfilled with prebiotics and is a source of calcium and fibre. I’ve fallen in love with the Creamy Cultured Coconut. They also come in unsweetened versions — a major bonus!
(I gotta let you know Yoso kindly sent some of their products to try. Read my full disclosure policy here. )
I eat it on its own, topped with my yummy granola, but I waited patiently for summer to arrive to try making my own vegan frozen yogurt at home. My previous vegan froyo attempts with yogurts that weren’t up to snuff ended up brittle and gritty, but now that I’ve found Yoso, my homemade vegan froyo game has changed for the better. This recipe is made smooth by the added healthy fat from the coconut cream, lightly sweetened by the coconut sugar and balanced by the vanilla. I used frozen peaches in this recipe to keep the majority of the ingredients cold (helps prevent separation), but would be curious to see how fresh peaches would fair. Topping the finished froyo with in-season, fresh peaches added a boost of flavour and the dried coconut flakes added a bit of crunch.
If you’re completely sugar-free, I would try this recipe without the coconut sugar. The peaches should add enough sweetness on their own.
What’s your favourite frozen yogurt flavour? Tell me your favourites in the comments and I’ll see what I can concoct! Don’t forget the toppings too!
Vegan Peach Coconut Frozen Yogurt
- 1 400 mL can full-fat coconut milk (Real Thai is my favourite brand), refrigerated overnight
- 1 container (440 g) Yoso Unsweetened Creamy Cultured Coconut
- 2 cups frozen peaches
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
1) Prep a loaf pan by lining it with parchment paper for easy clean-up.
2) Separate the solid coconut cream from the coconut milk in the can. Save the rest of the liquid to use in a smoothie later!
3) In a food processor add the coconut cream, coconut yogurt, peaches, sugar, and vanilla.
4) Process until completely smooth.
5) Pour mixture into the loaf pan and place in freezer for 1 hour.
6) After an hour, add frozen yogurt back into the food processor for a second processing. Blend until smooth.
7) Pour frozen yogurt back into the pan and freeze for at least one hour.
8) When you’re ready to serve, take frozen yogurt out of the freezer for a few minutes beforehand. Scoop and serve with fresh peaches and dried coconut! If you freeze the frozen yogurt overnight, it might take up to 15 minutes to defrost and be scoop-able!